Saturday, December 09, 2006

Plum sugar


My upstairs neighbour, Joyce, asked me months and months ago to paint a little portrait of her grand daughter, and at last I did this for her. I am not a portrait artist in the least (as you can see from my illos on this blog), and get quite daunted at the thought of painting something by hand, as much as I love it. Doing this digitally would have been interesting and much easier, but for the love of earth and water, I've got to use my brushes!

When it comes to art by hand, I am most comfortable illustrating in pen and shading with a combination of hatching and watercolour. I usually only use the black cake to create greyscale watercolours (so simple and classy) but thought some colour would be nice in this one. Hope you like it, Joyce!

3 comments:

Michael Cho said...

She looks so sweet! Great job!

And I agree about using natural media, instead of digital...

rama hughes said...

it's a beautiful portrait though!

(i added one of your other ones to the portrait party.)

Claudia Davila (Fran) said...

Thanks Rama! Your portrait party is one smashing do, what a great idea -- thanks for including me and Michael :-)